Kingfisher beer is an Indian beer brewed by United Breweries Group. The brand was launched in 1978. With a market share of over 36%, it is India's largest selling beer, with 1 out of every 3 bottles of beer sold in India being a Kingfisher brand. It is currently available in 52 countries outside India.
Heineken Group, holds 37.5% equity shares in United Breweries Ltd.
Kingfisher comes in the following varieties:
- Kingfisher Premium
- Kingfisher Strong: The brand was launched in 1999 to cater to the growing strong beer segment in the country. Today, Kingfisher Strong is India’s largest selling beer brand. It is available in 4 SKUs- 650ml & 330ml bottles and 500ml & 330 ml cans.
- Kingfisher Strong Fresh: Kingfisher Strong Fresh is the first ever strong draught beer available in the Indian market. It is packaged in a 500 ml cans.
- Kingfisher Draught: It is packaged in a 500 ml cans.
- Kingfisher Ultra: It was launched in Mumbai on 18 September 2009. It is an entry in the premium beer segment in the country to compete with international players like Carlsberg, Heineken and Budweiser. Kingfisher ULTRA is available in Thane, Pune and Bangalore and will be extended to other cities of the country soon. Currently, Kingfisher ULTRA is available in two SKUs: 650ml and 330ml bottles.
- Kingfisher Blue: The brand’s core target group is the young male population. Kingfisher Blue tries to occupy an imagery of adventure sports. It contains under 6% alcohol. Kingfisher Blue is packaged in metalized blue color labels and cans. It is available in 4 SKUs- 650ml & 330ml bottles and 500ml & 330 ml cans. The brand has been launched in key markets like Karnataka, Pondicherry, Maharashtra, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Kolkata and will soon be a national brand.* Kingfisher Red: It is marketed as India’s 1st ‘ALL SEASON’ beer.
- Kingfisher Bohemia: Unlike the above, Kingfisher Bohemia is a brand of wine. It is the result of a partnership between Kingfisher and The Company of Wine People (COWP), a key player in the South African wine industry, both locally and abroad. The wine is produced in Cape Floral Kingdom, South Africa. Kingfisher Bohemia is available in three varieties – red, white and rosé. It is packaged in 750ml bottles and a case of wine contains 12 bottles. Kingfisher Bohemia is available in Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore, Goa, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Kerala and Kolkata.
Kingfisher Beer is sometimes promoted as The King of Good Times.
- World's best Lite Lager Award at the Stockholm Beer Festival in 1994.
- World's best Lite Lager Award at the Stockholm Beer Festival in 1995.
- Gold medal at the World Beer Championship held in Chicago in 1997.
- First prize for the label work category at the Asian GrandPrix Cyrel 2000 Label award.
- Bronze award at the 'Australian International Beer Awards' in the "International Packaged Beer Section for the year 2000
The Kingfisher Swimsuit Calendar is another successful property the brand has developed over the years. Conceptualised along the lines of the Pirelli calendar, the Kingfisher Swimsuit Calendar is a blend of fashion, fun and glamour. Over the years, its unveiling has become one of the most eagerly anticipated events in the Indian fashion calendar.