Monday, 26 September 2011


Isle of Jura Distillery General Information
Current Owners click for detailsWhyte and Mackay Ltd
Location Jura
Water source Loch a Bhaille Mhargaidh (Market Loch)
Stills 2 x wash stills and 2 x spirit stills
Capacity per year 2,500,000 Litres
Status Active/Producing

The 1950's saw plans to reopen the Isle of Jura distillery. To solve the problem of work for the islanders estate owners Robin Fletcher and Mr Riley-Smith got together with former distiller and architect Delme Evans to design and build the new distillery which opened on 26th April 1963.
Isle of Jura distillery sign

Isle of Jura Distillery History
1810 Established
1875 James Ferguson & Sons acquire and renovate
1884 Reconstructed
1960-63 Reconstructed by Jura Distillery Co. Ltd (Mackinlay McPherson Ltd, part of Scottish & Newcastle Breweries)
1978 Stills increased from 2-4
1994 Whyte & Mackay
1996 JBB (Greater Europe)
2001 Owned by Whyte & Mackay

Jura's rugged landscape
The Isle of Jura's remoteness provides a romantic note for its visitors who are able to enjoy its natural beauty, scenery and wildlife and take part in walking, climbing and exploring. The distillery sponsors the annual Isle of Jura Fell Race.

Isle of Jura Distillery Comments
Illegal distilling probably dates back to 1600's on this remote island.
George Orwell wrote his famed novel "1984" on Jura, attracted there by the island's remoteness giving him the peace he needed to write.

The soft peaty water is good for making whisky and the very plain malt dried using warm air contributes to Jura's lighter and softer finish.
Walking on the remote west coast


Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

DARU DIYAN BOTLAN Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates